Government of the Autonomous Province of Vojvodina is an executive authority of the Province. It accounts for its work to the Assembly of the Autonomous Province of Vojvodina and its activities are defined within the framework of competences under the Constitution of the Republic of Serbia and Statute of the AP Vojvodina, the supreme legal act of the Province.
At the session of the Assembly of the Autonomous Province of Vojvodina held on 11 July 2012, Bojan Pajtić, SJD, was elected Prime Minister – designate of the Provincial Government, who had held the office of the President of AP Vojvodina Government in the two previous terms of office.
The Provincial Assembly Decision on the Government of AP Vojvodina regulates the composition, term of office, competences and other issues relevant to the work of the Provincial Government.
The Provincial Government consists of the President, one or several vice-presidents and members of the Provincial Government, concurrently holding the positions provincial secretaries. The President of the Provincial Government represents, manages and directs the Provincial Government, sees to unity of political activity of the Provincial Government and harmonises the work of its members.
The President of the Provincial Government represents, manages and directs the Provincial Government, sees to unity of political activity of the Provincial Government and harmonises the work of its members..
In its work, the Provincial Government ensures the official use of Serbian language, Cyrillic and Latin script, as well as Hungarian, Slovak, Croatian, Romanian and Ruthenia language and their respective scripts, in line with the law, Statute, Provincial Assembly decision and Rules of Procedure of the Provincial Government.
The official use of languages and scripts of national communities means, in particular, that members of the Provincial Government are entitled to use their native languages when addressing the Government orally or in writing, as well as to have the acts for the Provincial Government sessions delivered in that language.
The Provincial Government is competent to propose to the Assembly the following:
- Provincial Assembly decisions and other general acts;
- budget and annual statement of accounts of AP Vojvodina;
- strategies, plans and programmes within the competence of AP Vojvodina and in conformity with the law and Statute;
- a regulation for temporary enforcement of a republic law in the territory of AP Vojvodina, in case the competent republic authorities failed to adopt a legal act of that kind within the timeframe specified under the law;
- Provincial Assembly decisions on establishing, competences and organisation of agencies, public enterprises and institutions.
The Provincial Government shall:
- enforce the laws, providing it is authorised to do so;
- execute Provincial Assembly decisions and other general acts of the Assembly;
- conclude interregional agreements in the fields within the competence of the AP of Vojvodina;
- render its opinion to the Assembly of the proposal of a Provincial Assembly decision or general act put forward to the Assembly by another proposer;
- pass provincial decrees, decisions and other general acts for the purpose of enforcing the laws and implementing Provincial Assembly decisions, if authorised to do so under the law or Provincial Assembly decision;
- regulate, in accordance with material possibilities, other rights, establish and ensure additional and supplementary rights and/or a greater scope of rights and protection in the spheres within the competence of AP Vojvodina, in conformity with the law and acts of AP Vojvodina;
- enact or consent to programmes, establish, propose or give an opinion of the plan of the network of institutions in the fields within the competence of the AP Vojvodina;
- undertake measures for the implementation of development strategies and programmes proposed by the Assembly;
- appoint, designate and relieve of duty office holders in bodies and organisations of AP Vojvodina, provided they are not elected by the Assembly and/or it is not otherwise stipulated in the Provincial Assembly decision;
- represent the AP Vojvodina as a legal entity, establish institutions, agencies and other organizations in the fields within the competences of AP Vojvodina, provided they are not established by the Assembly;
- exercise rights and duties assigned to the AP Vojvodina as the founder of public enterprises, agencies, institutions and other organisations, unless otherwise stipulated in a Provincial Assembly decision or articles of association;
- form expert bodies for the conduct of certain affairs within the competence of AP Vojvodina, as well as appoint and relieve of duty its members;
- propose directors, members of steering and supervisory committees of funds, institutions and other organisations, in conformity with the law;
- manage and dispose of the property of AP Vojvodina, in conformity with the law;
- direct and harmonise the work of bodies and organisation of the provincial administration founded by the AP Vojvodina and monitor their work;
- pass acts and undertake activities and measures within the competence of the Assembly of AP Vojvodina in the event of natural disasters, technical accidents and other emergency situations, provided that the Assembly may not convene timely;
- resolve the conflict of competences arisen between bodies and organisation of the provincial administration, other organisations, departments and administrations;
- decide on exemptions of heads of bodies and organisations of the provincial administration, other organisations, departments and administrations;
- adopt acts and conducts other tasks within the competence of AP Vojvodina that are not conducted by the Assembly, while bodies and organisations of the provincial administration are not authorised in a Provincial Assembly decision, to conduct them independently.